Sunday 14 September 2014

Before You Meet the World.




By the sheer grace of God, we've made it this far, Baby Girl.  Month 9!  You've grown (according to my app) from the size of a raspberry to a watermelon, gentle flutters to sharp jabs, tiny blob to big ol’ baby!  I'm beginning to understand why parents confront nostalgia with every new school year or birthday (“I can't believe my baby is this old!”) Even now, I already have my share of emotions—“Hurry up!” constantly alternates with “Slow down!"

Your crib sits squished right next to my side of the bed in the corner of our small bedroom with no space between. Still, it won't be the same as carrying you in my belly. Your dad often asks, "Do you love her?” and I can't explain it. This morning I wanted to sleep in a little since you wake me up so much throughout the night. But you got your tiny hiccups again, so I just laid awake and placed my hand on my belly, knowing it won't be for much longer I can share this sensation with you. I feel like I’m protecting you from the world. I know I’ll miss our moments like these.



People always ask if we're ready for you to turn our world upside-down. I don't think we'll ever be. Each day will present new challenges where your Daddy and I will stare at each other and either laugh or cry.  We'll endure sleepless nights.  We'll rub your back. We'll wipe your tears. We'll listen to you vent.  We'll share your excitement and shoulder your burdens.  We'll watch you grow and learn and wonder where the time has gone. Most of all, we'll pray with you and for you to know and love God, because, Baby Girl, we know we cannot be everything for you.

We cannot protect you from all the pain or guard you from every danger or guide your every step in this world, but we can offer you up to Him who promises to be our Shield, our Shepherd, and our Salvation. And by doing so, you'll be in the best hands possible for He will guide you, deliver you, and bless you beyond understanding. If you need proof, just ask your parents.

- M

1 comment:

  1. We haven't met yet (I'm Mark Ratto's wife, who used to work with your husband at UCI), but Mark showed me this blog post, and I am absolutely undone. What a beautiful letter to your baby girl. We, too, are expecting our first in November. We're in Brooklyn, and as the seasons change, leaves turn, tummy grows, movements intensify, I am almost knocked over by the overpowering moments of realizing God's grace in all of this! Anyway, I just wanted to stop by, introduce myself, and let you know that we are praying for your family. Congratulations on the arrival of the new one! I look forward to when we finally get to meet! :-)

    ReplyDelete